Skip to main content

Fake it 'till You Make it

You can all thank Hannah. Now, let’s see how rusty I am at this.

How long has it been? I daren’t look at my previous post to check...certainly it’s been a couple of months… I honestly do feel guilty about that.

All the drama that was happening last year before I started the blog (which, to be honest, is partly what the blog was meant to be helping me decompress from) started up again. We, in some ways, are right back to where we were last year, or a couple of years ago, and that’s really crappy.

I honestly was thinking about the blog every day I wasn’t writing and posting (which was most days, if we’re sharing and all…).  I didn’t stop knitting or playing with fiber. I didn’t stop having ideas for things to design and I didn't lose the happy feeling I got when I looked at yarn/knitting/crochet/fibercrafts. I just...I just didn’t have the energy to fight my own head and body to be still and focus enough to write.

I know that one of the best things I can do for myself when I’m finding things particularly hard is to catch up with people I care about. I’ve been missing my friends and family outside of Australia more as of late, and me, being the person of Action that I am, had started pestering them to meet for a virtual coffee or a glass of wine, and catch up.

It was during such a catch up with Hannah, one of those beautiful people you can instantly settle into a conversation with, no matter how long it’s been since you’ve had a proper chat, and it’s as if no time has passed at all, that I found inspiration. We were celebrating some particularly badass adulting she’d been doing earlier that week when she confessed “Honestly, I was just making it up as I go along. It seemed about right, so I just did it with confidence and hoped it’d work out.”

TING! 

On went the metaphorical light bulb in my head.

Hannah was faking it!

I could do that, I HAD done that more than once, really, more times than I can count I’m certain. What’s more, Knitters do it all the time. Every fibercrafter has been told at least once, when seeking reassurance from a fellow crafter, “just keep doing what you’re doing, it’ll come right in a few rows”. I left our catch up feeling like I was armed and ready for the next time things were hard. But then Sunday and Monday happened, and things were again very hard.

But today I woke up and it was raining and cold and a little foggy, and you could smell the fire someone had made - all the things I crave when I’m cranky and missing Seattle - and I decided to Fake It until I Made It today. So here I am, snuggled in some of my favourite new FOs, going the extra mile to do my hair and wear a favourite pair of earrings, put on a little lipstick, and try and connect with you all again.

Meet me back here tomorrow? Bring your projects and your favourite drink and we'll catch up on everything we've been stitching since we last chatted. I've got quite a list to share with you. Until then here's a photo of Jolie modeling one of my recent FOs. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon