Skip to main content

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders

Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head.

Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders.

Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation given that we share a common thread. (The spiders did not seem to appreciate my jokes or puns, in case you were wondering.) I've tried politely requesting down to outright demanding rent if they are going to take up space inside my home. I've tried helpfully pointing out that, given they are so excellent at catching local bug life, that outside, where the bugs exist in abundance, would drastically improve their chances of catching a good meal.

No spider I have ever come across in this country has been willing to see reason or work with me. They just aren't interested in it. However, they do seem to be interested in coming at my face. This has been an ongoing theme for me my entire life, and it seems that the spiders I left behind in The States managed to phone their cousins here in preparation for my arrival. ( If you don't believe me, ask me sometime over a drink and some knitting about the Magpie vs the Huntsman, or about the Spider from Dreaded Finals)

Luckily, Liebling and I have an arrangement in our partnership – he deals with the spiders and I take care of the other bugs. Bet your yarn balls I invoked that clause right then. No, I didn't care that it was the middle of the night and Liebling was half in his jammies. The alternative would be no sleep for either of us because I would refuse to go back into that room until I had visual confirmation the thing had been removed.

He dutifully went into the bedroom, armed with a broom, a box, and a solemn expression, and returned a few minutes later to take the spider outside. (Click here if you want to see a photo of the spider. If you're normal, read on.)

For those of you choosing to skip the visual, just know this - IT WAS THE SIZE OF MY HAND!

Fun fact – I DO NOT HAVE SMALL HANDS!

Rather, heel to longest fingertip is over 7 inches long and this spider was The. Same. Size. That's just...well I'll let you decide for yourself what to call it. You know how I feel already.

Photo credit: AFP Adrian Dennis
My point is, I do not like spiders. I do, however, find this project using a byproduct from spiders very interesting. (Ironically, the same word a friend from South Australia used to describe Australian spiders to me...)

This garment is made entirely of silk from female Golden Orb spiders. That means that stunning golden colour is 100% it’s original colour, no dyes were used in its making. It took three years to make, from harvest to hanger and cost over £300,000 to produce. Not exactly in my budget, but I do love that someone somewhere was able to take something that I would never voluntarily touch and turn it into something I actually want to touch and experience. Check out the project page at the Victoria and Albert Museum site for videos walking you through it's creation. Absolutely fascinating! (Hint: it involves putting the spiders on something like a mini treadmill...)

Now if you are paying attention - and I know you are! - you’ll notice the date on that project is 2012. That’s quite a while ago, yes. And yes, I too do not have £300,000+ for a woven/knitted/crocheted anything. But guess what!



Photo Credit: @boltthreads on Twitter
Bolt Threads has a synthetic spider silk version, MicroSilk, that’s brewed from yeast! The process creates the dragline silk spiders make when rappelling, and is chemically exactly the same. This means it’s biodegradable as well as more sustainable than harvesting directly from the spider. (Also, less creepy for wusses like me.)

They’ve created hats and ties, the hat came in at $198 each. Still more than what I’m willing to pay, but more people spend $200 on a hat than they do £300,000. I mean, This plain knitted beanie from Gucci sells for $350, and it doesn’t have the weird factor.

Bolt Threads say that MicroSilk is stronger than traditional silk harvested from silkworms. What I want to know is, are we going to see it in yarn? They’ve already experimented in blending it with wool and the result was very positive. Perhaps this could be an alternative to nylon in our sock yarns?

P.S. Am I the only one to wonder if this experiment came out of a ‘here, hold my beer’ moment, and Dan Widmaier of Bolt Threads took the beer and thought “gee, wouldn’t it be neat if….”?

P.P.S. Thank you Ian Bissett for the use of your beer photo under CCBY 4.0. :-D

P.P.P.S. If that was all a bit wig inducing for you, and boy do I understand where you're coming from there, here's a photo of the leg warmers I whacked out last week, accompanied by the World's Coolest 3D Printed Pirate Mug.





  Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com 
Enjoying the blog?  It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)
Follow me on
Twitter      Ravelry      Instagram    Google+     Facebook

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, synthetic spider silk! Cool!

    (Also, yes, I did click the image. I generally like spiders. They eat other undesirable bugs (blackflies, mosquitoes, horseflies, etc). . . . But the spiders in Canada just aren't. that. big! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I rather miss living in an area when all I had to worry about with a spider was possible necrosis...(brown recluses)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon