Skip to main content

Psst! Guess What!?

Psst! Guess What!?

I PUBLISHED MY FIRST PATTERN LAST WEEK!

First time I've ever felt like this was me...something new every day, right?


Thank you to everyone who did the excited happy dance with me last Tuesday. You helped distract me from obsessively hitting the refresh button on my stats to see if anyone thought my design was cool enough to even click on. ;o)

I confess was a little nervous about publishing a pattern, mainly because there was a little voice in the back of my mind saying that this pattern was ‘cute’ but not anything someone other than me would want to knit…I ‘emmed’ and ‘erred’ about for a few weeks while I finished the first iteration of the project, blocked it, and took photos. I kept telling myself I might as well be prepared, whether I decided to publish the design or not. But it was actually Youngling who helped me the most in deciding firmly that I would indeed publish the pattern.

For starters, I realised if she’d come to me saying that she thought something would be cool to do but wasn’t sure what other people would think of her idea, and this was the reason she hadn’t bothered trying yet, I’d set her right down and remind her that we can’t let everyone else around us stop us from doing cool things, or being adventurous, or doing the right thing. I try not to be a hypocrite; so there was half my problem solved.

But she also helped by being excited about the design. She was excited to model the finished leggings and enjoyed them so much she barely took them off for days after. I had really enjoyed making them, working with the yarn, and collaborating with Youngling on photographing them afterwards. I decided that if my teenager, who is meant to be disdainful of all things by dint of her age, could be delighted in them enough to willingly wear them more than once out in public, then maybe another kid would enjoy them too.

Also, did I mention they were a fun and easy knit? I should probably show you a picture now, huh?


Ta-Da! Merry meet the Cozy Caterpillar Cuffs. (What? We’ve been together for a year now, some of you and I. Did you really think I was going to pass up a triple word alliteration?) I’m so proud of myself for actually sitting my arse down and typing up the alphabet soup that was floating around in my head - and now I can share with you!

The construction is exquisitely simple - perfect for a beginner or someone looking for an easy knit for social situations or events where you can’t be constantly looking at your work or counting stitches.  I wanted to design something that was fun and funky, but didn't require too much technique research along the way. If you can knit, purl, yarn-over, and knit two together, you’ll be fine.

You don’t need to worry about gauge for this project, either! You can either go by row count or listen to your yarn and make your transitions with the colour changes. (That’s what I did for the sample pair.) You will need a scale, though. (Some yarn shops have this, so don’t be afraid to ask!) Because the design is broken into blocks of texture this is a great stash-busting/scrappy pattern. You can change up your yarns as often as you wish (or need to, depending on the scrap) and the written instructions accommodate for this.

Oh gawds - I just had visions of a pair of these babies knit up using yarn that has stripes in different widths!! *starry eyed* Please someone do this, and send me photos! Double points if you make your own franken-ball of scrap yarn! I think I need a pair for myself that are black and white - I mean, what Goth wouldn’t want Beetlejuice inspired cuffs?

The pattern is available for purchase now on Ravelry. If you don't mind, would ya pop on over and give it some love? If it isn't in your budget (oh boy have I been there and that's totally ok!), or not quite something you think you'd knit but the design akes you smile, 'favoriting' a pattern helps with visibility, too (that's the little heart icon). 

If you do choose to purchase and cast on, be sure to tag me/leave a comment/make a Ravelry project page so I can see what your take on the design is! 

Until next next, lovelies! (In which there will likely be some Harry Potter talk, given that school holidays start from the Bell Toll on Friday. EEK!)

Mwah!

  Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com 
Enjoying the blog?  It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)
Follow me on
Twitter      Ravelry      Instagram    Google+     Facebook


Comments

  1. Whoot! I saw these on IG, and they really are adorable! I'm thrilled to see that you published!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon