Skip to main content

At least it's on brand

I finished it!

I just want to start by saying that, despite it being two weeks since I last posted (more on this below), I finished that infernal blanket about that long ago, too. I wove in the ends and sewed on the accents and practically chucked it at The Pirates. I also warned Claire that if anything on the blanket broke I wasn’t fixing it for at least 12 months. She understands, she has these feelings sometimes too. It’s why we jiive so well. ;o)

Here’s the finished product. It looks more like an albino toucan than a narwahl, in my opinion, but pirates also have birds so it’s still on brand. I’m calling it a win. Remember, I’m not a crocheter, the fact that it looks remotely like an animal, let alone one that I can reasonably argue would fit logically into a pirate family, is a win for me!


I think that crochet project zapped me of any knitting mojo I might have had for anyone else. I have a theory that trying to bend yarn in ways that feel very unintuitive for me  (I say for ME - I am the daughter of a crocheter and I’m the one in the string of First Daughters down my maternal line to not find commune with the art, I know it’s me that’s the problem), but managing to do it somehow, is the fibre fiend’s equivalent to bending one’s luck. At some point all that good karma and aligning of the universe to help a girl out has got to tip the other way and balance out.

Since finishing that blanket I have managed to stuff up three other projects - all knitted ones, by the way - and, well, I just didn’t feel like sharing that rate of defeat with you all. I absolutely trust the knitting community to be supportive when things go poorly with a project for one of us, but I know there’s plenty of other, bigger, things going on in our community right now and I was sure after the first frogging things would turn around.

Well it didn’t, and two more projects followed suit. I have committed back to the stash two pairs of socks and a cardigan. Most of this happened over the course of one evening, about a week ago, while I was participating in an online bookclub meetup. My internet connection was so bad, and my focus so much worse, that the evening ended in three piles of squiggly freshly frogged yarn, my WIP basket from the move (that is currently all the yarn I have access to until the storage container comes back to us) upended on the bed, and my computer - perhaps in solidarity with my crankiness - deciding to have a tantrum about all the heat and the internet’s lack of reliability. I’m sure it all was a sight to see - Liebling came in at one point, looked from me to the bed and back, and slowly backed out of the bedroom, taking the cats with him.

In response I wrapped each pile of yarn carefully in a tea towel (I was already cranky, I didn’t want Future Babs to be more pissed off at having to untangle three project’s worth of yarn) and hid them all away in the back of the wardrobe. I resolved that until I could get out of this funk I’m not knitting for other people.

A couple of days later I couldn’t ignore the itch any longer and I cast on something for myself. It’s colourwork, it’s in delightfully cool autumnal colours (yes apparently Zauberball can make even a brown look like cool damp earth) and I’m contrasting it with a misty grey for a pair of viking runic inspired socks. The color combination and the design remind me so much of my beloved Pacific Northwest I’m finding it very soothing and enjoyable to knit. I managed to get all of the way through a foot in one evening and afternoon at the yarn shop, to give you an idea of how intuitive and quick this pattern is. Here’s a photo taken at Skein Sisters during our Sunday Social Knitting group, as well as a photo from Punch Bowl Falls at Eagle Creek in the Columbia River Gorge, for comparison.

  


Don’t those colours make you think of chilled air laden with the smell of moss and wet earth? Maybe some coffee and frozen pine needles crunching underfoot… 

I guess my dreaming of winter days isn’t so surprising. It’s been bloody hot and humid A.F. here. It’s been so hot that even The Girls don’t give two stitches about my wool. (Flick through this year’s previous posts to see just how much of a fibre fiend Jolie is for comparison, if you’re new here.)



The heat isn’t going to let up, but I’m skipping out of town to Melbourne for the weekend. More to come on that once I’m far enough away from the heat that I can work for longer than 20 minutes at a time without my laptop overheating. ;o)

How’s everyone else’s current WIP selection going? I’d love to see photos!



  Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com 
Enjoying the blog?  It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)
Follow me on
Twitter      Ravelry      Instagram    Google+     Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon