Skip to main content

Hills Hoists and Sock Tubes and...Crochet? Oh My!



So what has happened since last October?

Well, like I said in my last post, we’ve moved into a house! It’s a lovely little federation style home, with grass and a porch and actual hallways and windows and head space. Bascially, it’s got all those things that I learned quickly to assume I’d never have again when I moved to Sydney and learned what inner-city-ring housing looked like to an Australian developer.

To further underscore just how excited I am about being in a house, rather than some ‘boutique 2-bedroom unit’ (they mean matchbox with no ventilation and no space for amenities, btw), I did a jig when I learned we got what’s known here as a Hills-Hoist (it’s a rotating washing line, my fellow PNWers). I’ve heard some interesting stories from Liebling and some of my Aussie friends about the uses of one of these contraptions….but I’ll leave that bit to your imagination unless you ask directly. All I really thought about when I saw it was how much yarn and fibre I can dry on it!

I know I've shared this photo before, but what cat is THIS blase about yarn?!?
See, a Hills-Hoist means there is grass and yard to install it in. This means we get a yard, which means we have more places to send children to play rather than giving up the entire common area and hiding in the bedroom. (This also means I get to knit on the couch while yet enjoy the sounds of kids running through my house.)

The first time Youngling had a friend over to play hangout and have dinner I loaded them up with plates and glasses of juice and kicked them out onto the porch, and didn’t see them for ages (though I could hear peels of laughter every so often). I managed to knit an entire half sock tube while they were goofing off. It was amazing.






 You know what also rocks about our new place? My yarn storage and wheel already match the pre-existing design and decor! (Also in the photo, our Christmas tree this year. I absolutely recommend, if you are moving over Christmas and have kids, decorate your old home’s door for Christmas and then make it one of the first things you put up in your new home. That way you don’t miss out on decorating just because you’re packing stuff and it’ll help make your new space feel homey right away.) 


No this is not all of my fibre stash. I’ve also got 9 big boxes just of yarn and fibre (not including books) that I somehow talked myself into putting into short-term storage until we’d moved into the house. That’s a story for next time - trust me it’s a riot and maybe don’t do what I do.    

I also had my birthday! This included birthday yarn :-D The lovely Lisa, yes the Lisa who likes to practice knitting techniques by creating something cute for her Grumpy Cat, is the sweetest and brought me back a hank of something special from her trip to New Zealand. Here’s a piccie; it’s from Handzon in Christchurch.



The yarn is brushed mohair merino and the colourway is 105-Autumn. I just love the colours, they remind me of an Italian Renaissance banner. And the feel? Like a squishy cloud of cotton candy.  I love that it's a different mohair yarn, there's no silk core here (mohair is commonly plied around a silk thread core) and it's  weighted at a 12ply. I’m going to use it as my entry into the Kanga Kiwi KAL/CAL this year, I just need to decide on a pattern...that's NEVER hard, ha!

In other yarny news I have been on a sock tube binge. Remember all those lovely 50g zauberball gobstoppers from Wondoflux I purchased last year on my Yarncation to Melbourne? I’ve decided making sock tubes is a great way to make use of those beautiful yarns without having to bother with a scale or worrying about the socks not being even.  This also makes for super easy cinema knitting, which we all need in this ridiculous heat wave.

It isn't like the kitties are using it...

Aren’t they yummy? The middle one makes me think of fruit popsicles (that’s Ice Blocks for you Aussies) at the beach. The one on the far right is for Liebling, and yes he is ecstatic about the sparkly toes. Yarns are (left to right) Felici sock yarn from KnitPicks in Goth Kitty, Edition 3.0 by Schoppelwolle in 2296 - Englisher Garten and Regia sock yarn Allround Color in color 04969 from my Birthday Cake 2018 stash with Knitpicks Stroll Glimmer for the toes/heels/cuffs (I seem to have lost the ball band in the move, so no colourway, sorry!).

I’ve had a few requests for a tutorial for making a socktube, so I’ll be posting one very soon for anyone who’s interested. I’ve got several sock tubes knitted up, I just need to get some photos of the process before I can post.

Also, I’ve cast-on (is that the right term for starting a crochet project? I don’t know, I don’t do this very often) a new project. It’s going to be a baby blanket that can be rolled up into a stuffed animal (pattern link). I made one of these about this time last year for a friend’s newborn niece and got rave reviews from everyone who saw it in person. And, as this year it seems that all of my friends who’ve got babies have decided to make more babies, I decided I better get my butt in gear and start stitching away. This one is going to be a Narwhal whale for the baby of The Pirates. Jolie clearly approves.



What have you lovelies been working on while my head was stuck in the boxes? I’d love to see!

Comments

  1. OOh, the socks look wonderful! And your new place sounds amazing! (I do miss having a backyard, I have to admit. :) )

    I hope you're holding out in the heat wave. I can send you some cold weather from Canada, if you like! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with this place! AND IT'S ACCESSIBLE! I've got a yarny friend whose partner is in a wheelchair and we can actually have them both over for drinks! :D

      Yes please send us some cooler weather - we got one cool day, but we are back up to practically 35-40C this week *melts* I'm longing for cooler weather and full length pants (and wool socks)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon