Skip to main content

Friday Fibre Watch - Stranger Strings S1E6-8, the horrid jumper

It’s Friday! That means we’re kicking the weekend off right with a little geek out over about all fibery-tastic things I saw in the fandom flavoured yarniverse this week. W00t!

This week we will be wrapping up Season 1 of Stranger Things. There were some notable patterns in the last few episodes that I noted during rewatching, but couldn’t find any shots that included the pieces. I’ve had to omit them for now, but, as most of them will reappear in Season 2, I’m hoping that I can grab some stills of them and include them later. If anyone has suggested software for grabbing photo stills from a video, please share in the comments! It helps me and you’ll benefit, too! ;o)

Got your eggos and bevvie of choice ready? Let’s get going!





S1E6 - Nancy’s basic raglan 

How many knitted garments has Nancy gone through this season? At least four, that’s more than any other character, and each of the items is drastically different from the others. Sure, she also seems to go through the most growth and personality change over the season, but that’s an impressive number of knitted items. You could make an entire winter wardrobe just by cosplaying Nancy. Someone do this, and send me photos...Please. ;o)


This is the last jumper for Nancy this season (do not despair - she’s back in full knitted glory in Season 2!) and it is the most subtle yet functional piece yet. It’s a basic crew neck, waist length (it’s the 80’s, they’d forgotten hips were a thing) jumper with a four colour transition happening down the length of the piece. We can’t see her arms during the final episodes, but I’m betting the colour changes happen there too.

This jumper is going to be the easiest project to make out of this post. Don’t worry about the colour changes, tt’s definitely beginner friendly and the suggested pattern is very clear and straightforward. Also, don’t panic about the yarn weight. It’s good tv knitting - you can do most of this jumper while rewatching Stranger Things in preparation for Season 3!

Suggested Pattern:
So Faded by Andrea Mowry

Notes:

  1. Since we can’t see Nancy’s arms we don’t know how long the sleeves actually are, so feel free to follow the pattern for a ¾ length. However, if you’re like me and can’t let go of the fact that this is Indianna in winter, go ahead and extend the sleeves to wrist length.
  2. Andrea’s pattern has a garter stitch texture on the upper arms/shoulders. Again, who’s to say Nancy’s sleeves don’t also have this feature, but if you want to be more true to the style of the time, skip the garter stitch and just go stockinette all the way.


Suggested Yarn:
Cascade Heritage Solids in Brown (5639), Raspberry (5617), Mango (5641), Mossy Rock (5634), and Mustard (5652)
Cascade is a great staple yarn for anyone with a bit of a budget but you don’t have to sacrifice quality of the yarn.

Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock in Molasses, Ultraviolet,  Cayenne OR Pumpkin, Hemlock, and Saffron

Sweet Georgia is a little bit pricier, but they are an indie dyer, rather than a bigger commercial dye company, and their colour/fibre contents are very different to Cascade.

Note

  1. The colour progression goes chocolate brown >purple > orange > green > yellow




S1E7 - Mr Clarke’s date night jumper


Woah there! Did anyone else expect to see Mr Clarke in anything other than his Bill-Nye-The-Science-Guy getup? He gets a costume change in this episode. Also, a-wooga! Mr Clarke is on a DATE! A date of picking apart horror movies to figure out how they made the icky bits icky. Be still my heart.

For his soon-to-be-interrupted date night Mr Clarke gets to relax in a pair of comfy jeans and, in case you didn’t notice, a rather flattering knitted jumper. It’s good to know that the Duffer Brothers and their wardrobe crew recognise that hardcore geek dudes can actually talk to girls and might *shocker* even know how to dress in anything but a sweater vest with bow tie and pocket protector.

Straightforward  charcoal stockinette jumper with set in sleeves. There is a subtle colourworked stripe of slanting lines that alternate black, red then orange. Set-in sleeves are still the most popular style for jumpers and cardigans during this time period. Remember, as discussed in S1E4 post, raglan sleeves for knitwear did not become popular until about a decade later.

Suggested Pattern:
Basic Sweater Pattern by Ann Budd. Knit flat (so in pieces then seamed together)

Colour change order: black, orange, black, red, repeat

Colour stitch pattern:
2 rows MC
1 row working 2 sts MC, 1 st CC,
1 row working 3 sts MC 1st CC (to give a left leaning slant)
repeat

Suggested Yarn:
Any semi-rustic non-superwash yarn would do. If you have a favourite, go with that.

Jamieson Spindrift, Finullgarn or Bendigo Woolen Mills Rustic would be excellent choices. All are semi-rustic in feel, but not so toothy as to make wearing them on the more sensitive parts of your arms uncomfortable. These are all great for colourwork as they are a little ‘sticky’ because of the tooth, helping to smooth out colour changes.


S1E8 - Steve’s Reindeer Jumper


Oh look, it’s the softer side of Steve.  Does anyone else find this jumper to be out of character? I mean, Steve isn’t a meathead jerk-face this season, he’s just (mostly) a jerkface, so perhaps this is exactly the kind of jumper such a kid from the 80’s would wear...But I feel like it isn’t what I’d expect the ‘cool jock’ of an 80’s movie to wear. I’m guessing the domestic homey look is meant to be foreshadowing for season two.

I will point out that this jumper, while being a pretty traditional ‘winter’ colour scheme, is also a colour scheme match to the Stranger Things branding; red lines, navy background, white motifs.

If you want to recreate this jumper, it’s going to take a little planning. (Even if you think this design falls into the ‘horrid jumper’ category, you have to admit it would be an epic troll for someone you don’t really like.) The suggested pattern below is a great base garment and it even includes a pretty spot on reindeer chart. There is a red 2x2 checkerboard border just above the reindeer motif (across the entire garment, including the sleeves) and the sections above/below the checkerboard border are flecked with a 4 stitch diamond motif.

Suggested Pattern:
My Deer by Hinterm Stein for the main patter and the deer chart.

Tree Chart (the tree in the jumper should be light blue)
Snow flecks


Suggested Yarn:
As with Mr Clarke’s date night jumper, any semi-rustic non-superwash yarn would do. If you have a favourite, go with that.



Wishing you all a weekend chock full of making, crafting, and relaxation!



  Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com 
Enjoying the blog?  It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon