Skip to main content

Friday Fibre Watch: Stranger Strings S1E4


Hey there my fellow cosplayers and geek chic lovers - it’s Friday Fibre Watch!

Ok so episodes 4-8 of season 1 are CHOCKERS full of yarny-goodness. I have to split them up into more than one post to be able to include all the goodies. I didn’t think you’d mind since this means you’ll be getting more fibre and more geek out time with me in this universe. This week is just episode 4.

Also, it’s Plastic Free July, so please consider plastic-free yarns when shopping for your materials (For more on plastic in yarn check out this week’s posts on Synthetic and Superwash yarns). And don’t forget your canvas bag!


S1E4 - Jonathan’s bone white plain jumper


Key Features: Basic dk/worsted weight jumper in an off white/worn white colour. 2 inch (5cm) rolled 2x2 ribbed collar, 4 inch (10cm) 2x2 rib cuffs, Set in sleeves

I tend to gravitate towards raglan sleeves for jumpers, but there is definitely something to be said about a nice set-in sleeve. Particularly if you are trying to give the impression of long, lean, and gawky (let’s be honest, that’s Johnathan’s character in a nutshell).

This jumper is your basic everyday jumper. No frills, all business. Translation: EASY PEASY TO MAKE. Even if you’ve never made a jumper before this would be a great one to start with.  Go on now, tempt fate by making the gawky geek dude in your life a Johnathan Jumper, it’ll look good on them, I’m sure of it.

Pattern suggestions
Stonehaven by Laura Aylor - ignore the garter stitch embellishments in favour of plain stockinette 
Seamless Saddle Shoulder Pullover by Elizabeth Zimmerman -   if you are lucky enough to have Elizabeth Zimmerman’s books this one is a great option. It isn’t a set in sleeve construction, but the saddle shoulder lines create the same illusion as a set in sleeve. (If the lucky duck to receive this jumper has a thicker torso this is a great way to force the eye to read the shoulders as even wider, which will give that gawky angular look Johnathan has going for him.)


S1E4 - Elle’s striped gym socks



Key Features: Basic 1980s gym socks. White base with a 3x1 rib across the top of the foot and around the leg.  Green-yellow-green horizontal colour bands below the cuff.

Another Easy Peasy project. These socks have a rib across the top of the foot (it isn’t a frequent rib, so if you hate purling don’t freak out), making sizing these socks very forgiving. This means they’d be an excellent choice for a gift knit for a special geek, or a great beginner sock pattern, for the same reason.

Newbies: Don’t let the colour bands at the top of the sock put you off. The colour changes start at the beginning of a row, so there is no fancy float catching or stranded colourwork patterning happening here.

Pattern Suggestion
Vanilla Latte Socks by Virginia Rose-Jeanes - Incorporate 4 rows of green, 2 rows yellow, 4 rows green for the coloured bands just after finishing the cuff.  



S1E4 - Mr. Clarke’s cabled sweater vest


Key Features: High v-neck sweater vest with a cable stitch panel evenly distributed across the front side of the garment.

I have an uncle who pretty much WAS Mr Clarke when I was growing up. He was a scientist and worked for the government, on lasers and other sciencey things. (I remember lasers because I’d just discovered Star Wars when I overheard him explaining to my little cousin, his daughter, what he did at work all day. He gained so many cool points in my mind in that moment.) I digress. Uncle Richard wore sweater vests all the time, with a dress shirt and tie and, I kid you not, a pocket protector for his calculator. I swear the writers wrote this character for my Uncle.


Skill-level is a tiny step up from the socks and the jumper, but not by much. You will just need to do a little math to determine where to put the cable panels on the front of your vest, based on your size. Don’t panic! It isn’t too difficult and I’ve got some instructions and tips for you.

The cable panels are your run of the mill cable stitch. (I counted for you, it’s a C6 with a purl 1 ditch on either side of the cable stitches for depth.) That means each cable panel is 8 stitches wide and this vest has 5 panels running lengthwise down the front. 


Pattern suggestions:

Paton's Mens Cable V-Neck Vest - This pattern is pretty much dead on, but to get a copy you will either have to contact Patons directly and hope they are a Stranger Things fan (I’m sure soeone in their office will understand.) or troll around ebay, your local library, guild, or Ravelry forums for a copy. If you can get this pattern, however, you will be able to follow its instructions for the cabling and skip the math.

Unisex V-Neck Sweater Vest - This pattern is more easily obtainable but will require a bit more comittment to stylising it. If you choose this pattern you will need to add a 2x2 rib band to the v-neck and the armholes, and math out cable panels as explained below.

Video Tutorial New Stitch a Day: Cable Stitch  


Mathing out your own cables

1. Divide the total number of stitches in the vest in half (this is the front and back).

2. Find the middle front of the piece and centre one of the cable panels across this midline. Use stitch markers to mark the endges of the panel. (If it turns out your size of the vest has an odd number of stitches fudge this bit by one stitch, that’s ok given the gauge we are working at.)
3. Find the total number of stitches from the edge of the centre cable panel to one side of the front. Subtract 16 from this number and divide by 2.

4. Take this new number, go back to the edge of that centre cable panel, count over that many stitches and place a marker. Count another 8 stitches and place another marker. (You’ve just marked out another cable panel). 

5. Repeat step 4 starting from the edge of the new cable panel you have just marked. You should end with the number of stitches you mathed out in step 3 between the edge of the cable panel and the side marker. 

6. Repeat steps 4-5 going the other direction from the centre cable panel. (So if you started counting right from centre, now start counting left of centre) You will end up with one cable panel splitting the centre of the vest and two cable panels to either side of the middle panel, splitting the remaining space evenly. Neat, huh?


See you next week for more Plastic Free July. I will be focusing on ways to incorporate Reusing and Recycling into my fibre hobbies. SPOILER: We are going to rescue yarn from a horrible garment and remake it into something way cooler.

Until then, have a fiber-friendly weekend!



Enjoying the blog?    Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon