Skip to main content

Life happens, but knit-worthy friends have infinite patience

Hello lovelies, how are you today?

I'm sorry for not checking in yesterday, but I have a good reason - I was prepping to see a doctor.

Nothing to be worried about! Dr Jodes is not that kind of doctor. Some of you might have heard of her already, if you are fans of The Bachelor (Australia) or were following the #PaceysCreek earlier this year. Ever heard of the book Valentine? Yeah, that Dr Jodes. I'm not gonna lie, I feel pretty cool by association. (Don't roll your eyes. I don't name drop often, gimme a break.) If you haven't heard her speak or read anything she's ever written STOP right now, go google her, and treat yourself. You won't be sorry.

Back to my reason for ignoring you all in favour of prepping for a visit with Dr Jodes. Well, this is a little embarrassing, but when Dr Jodes moved away from Sydney to Tassie I insisted on knitting her some cold weather items because Tassie gets actual weather. She agreed to let me custom make her a hat and glove set and I went about blending the perfect yarn for her.

Dr Jodes is spunky and looks fabulous in pretty much everything (darn her). I was on a flapper hat kick at the time, so I decided to make her this hat with these gloves in coordinating colours. I chose two main colours for her, with some accent colours to give the to-be-yarn depth and character. Then, I hand blended/carded up a bundle of rolags and set about spinning up some yarn that was (mostly) DK weight with a little thick and thin for texture.



I was so pleased with the result, and so excited for the very knit-worthy Doctor to have warm hands and ears that winter that I broke my cardinal rule and sent her a photo of the yarn. (Does anyone else have a personal rule about knitting for other people? Mine is NEVER SEND THEM A PHOTO UNLESS IT'S DONE. )

Then life happened...a lot. Like A LOT, a lot. And somehow I misplaced the yarn briefly in the flurry of everything. I found it again, and even managed to complete the brim and decorations of the hat and one glove up to the point when you begin making the finger holes. Then I discovered I had misplaced the hand tracing we had made, so I set the project aside, IN PLAIN VIEW, with the intent of finding the outline and finishing the gloves.

Two years later.... (and more life happening A LOT.)

I manage to get the hat finished and present it to the still-very-knitworthy-despite-my-behaviour Dr Jodes at Continuum in Melbourne. (Did I mention Dr Jodes has in the interim, while I've been shamelessly slacking off on her pressie, moved from Tassie to Melbourne, published her first book, and traveled internationally several times for both her book and her other real job?) I also get a second outline of her hand with every intention of finishing the gloves.

Over a year later... (This is what I get for letting my enthusiasm get the better of me and not sticking to my own personally set rules.)

It's Tuesday, 26 June 2018, Dr Jodes is going to be in Sydney on a whirlwind trip for a big to-do conference and is so lovely as STILL be able to find time to catch up with those of us still doing boring things in Sydney. I wake up and decide that enough is enough, she's going to get her coordinating gloves. I got up early, made coffee, did my real job, made more coffee and knocked off at lunch time and set about finishing those gloves. (At this point I had managed to also complete the cuff of the second glove. I'm not sure when that happened during all the life stuff and the losing of vital bits of paper, but I'm glad I managed that at least.)

I managed to misplace the second of the hand outlines, so instead of full gloves Dr Jodes got fingerless gloves. (That's called an opera glove, so they were actually fancier than real gloves. I'm sticking with that explanation.) I at least managed to work the top of the glove to include the elegant colour changes from the original pattern.

Between stitches I managed to help Youngling with her homework and give useful acceptable advice on an outfit cool enough for a tween to wear out in public. I even managed to get everything bound off despite Sydney transport dramas. In the end I was able to present Dr. Jodes with a handmade gift that was OFF THE NEEDLES.  Dr Jodes was so lovely to accept the belated pressie, even though I then spent part of the evening weaving in ends. She even bragged about them to a couple of her conference friends who joined us. She is so knitworthy I'm going to have to make her something else just to prove to the knitting dieties that I am worthy of her knitworthiness!

Also, life happened enough yesterday that I didn't get a photo of the had or the gloves...I'm hoping I can pursuade Dr Jodes, when she isn't traveling the world being amazing and scathing and clever, to send me a photo of the hat and gloves happily reunited and in full form.

I'm curious, what's the longest you've ever had a project for someone else, that they knew about, on the needles?


Enjoying the blog?    Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon