Skip to main content

Friday Fibre Watch - Stranger Strings S1E1-3

Happy Friday Fiber Fiendes!


Do you know what that means? Time for the first ever Friday Fiber Watch!


See, I had this *ahem* cunning plan. I’m a pretty big geek, my partner is too (lucky for him because his ability to talk nerdy to me definitely was one of the reasons he gets the title of My Mate), and Youngling hasn’t decided it’s uncool yet. Our home pretty much runs on coffee, love, and geekery. I don’t complain about this.


My cunning plan is to kick my weekend off right by geeking out with you about what fibery-tastic things I saw in the fandom flavoured yarniverse this week. For those extra geeky and nerdy of my readers, or those of you who love a detailed, on point cosplay, I hope this makes you happy in your soul parts. For the rest of you, I’m sure we’ll have you converted before long. ;-)


I promise this isn’t going to just be star wars amigurumi pinterest finds. Those really obvious fan makes are great, and I will include a couple here and there. But my tastes run deeper than that. I love subtly geeky stuff that makes you double/triple/quadruple take before you get that ‘ah-ha!’ moment - it makes me feel like I’m in that inner circle of ‘the know’. My Fiber Watch rundowns are going to reflect that.


To kick things off I thought I’d start with Stranger Things, since I’m currently rewatching all that Netflix has made available trying desperately to not think about how season 3 won’t be available for likely close to another year. (you laugh, but I know you are doing the same thing when no one’s looking. Admit it.) Grab some eggos, your yarn, and settle in.


This week was Stranger Things Season 1 Episodes 1-3.


S1 E1 - Nancy’s pink bunny cardi.


This spot-o was pretty obvious. It’s a basic cardigan in pale pink ‘baby weight’ (think light fingering) yarn with a stripe of stranded colourwork in a blue bunnies motif. Yes, I know it’s hard to see, but they are definitely blue bunnies; I checked...Several times. At this point we are supposed to assume that Nancy is the ‘good girl’ next door in small town USA. How more on the nose can you get than stereotypical baby colours with innocent bunnies?


This would even be a great first-timer-try for a newbie colourworker. This pattern would be perfect for the base cardigan. It’s got the deep v-neck, the delicate button band accent, and set-in sleeves (not raglan, which is common now).  Check out your LYS (local yarn shop) and see what they have in light fingering weight yarn in pastels for the cardigan, with a proper baby blue for the colourwork.


Here’s a chart for the lil’ bunnies running along the waistband and cuffs.






S1 E2 - Joyce's yellow & white afghan


You don’t even need to make this Stranger Things staple. I bet everyone’s parents or grandparents have one of these ripple crochet blankets packed away somewhere.


This blanket is pretty spiffy in that you can do a beginner version or add in one additional step in your stitchwork to bump up the skill level.  Even better is that you can make a cotton version of this blanket for areas of the world (or living persuasions) which make wool inappropriate.


I’d suggest a pattern like this one, for beginner crocheters. Be sure to stick with the narrowest row count for switching between your yellow and white yarn to get the same effect as Joyce’s throw.


If you feel like amping up your stitch game then this pattern is pretty dead on.


Not a crocheter? You can get the same effect of the raised traveling zigzag using (for a beginner) some increases/decreases and a garter stitch background. Check out this pattern here for instructions. Just switch between yellow and white every few rows (be sure to keep that row count consistent!). If you’re able to read a chart and are up for a very simple cable stitch, then cast on in multiples of 12 for the size blanket you want and use this chart.


S1 E3 - Nancy’s striped jumper



Can we just stop for a moment and admire this design? There is heaps going on here. The basic design is a cropped, rolled crew-neck jumper with set-in full-length sleeves. The base jumper pattern would be something like this. NOTE: this pattern has a deeper neckline and shorter sleeves than Nancy’s jumper. Extending your sleeves to the correct length is pretty simple, you just keep knitting until you’re happy with it. Cinching up the neckline will take a little extra fiddling. This piece is knit from the top down, so you can opt-out of some of the front neckline short rows in favour of a higher neckline.


Then there is the colour and texture all over the jumper. *swoon* Don’t let the colour changes or stitch pattern intimidate you, these are pretty straight forward. It definitely looks more involved than it actually is. Think of the patterning as two blocks, one is a 2x1x2 rowed stockinette colour stripe (and the colours are Wonder Woman themed, did you pick up on that?!? That was a pretty subtle cue from costuming, I must say) and the second block is a stockinette background with a diamond brocade pattern.




For the Wonder Woman stripes it’s pretty straight forward. Knit two rows of stockinette in one colour, change to the gold colour for one row of stockinette, then change to the third colour and knit two more rows. There is no carrying/catching of your yarn, it’s just simply knitting and switching colours at the beginning of a round. Don’t forget to include a repeat of this colour stripe on the cuffs and the waistband of the jumper!


**ProTip: Be sure to cross your old colour over your new colour when you change. This avoids having a gap between the previous and the new row.


The  diamond brocade is also pretty straight forward. You might have to do a little math to enlarge the diamonds to the right size for your jumper, but luckily there is a video tutorial to help you out! (Check it out here)

I hope you have a weekend chock full of string, creativity, inspiration, and MAKING.


See you next Monday for the start of Plastic Free July!


Enjoying the blog?    Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com It takes a lot of caffeine and yarn to make this happen! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here, hold my beer...for the sake of fibre

I hate spiders Last night I woke up with a start. I thought at first it was because I had fallen asleep with an audiobook running and it had come to a, rather loud, theatrical skirmish. I blearily turned off the book and rolled over onto my back, only to stare straight up at a gigantic huntsman above my head. Let me take a moment to remind you lovely readers that I live in Australia, and in Australia spiders range from microscopic to the size of your face. I'm aware that generally the poison level is inversely proportional to the size of the spider, but that doesn't stop me finding a spider big enough to smother me in my sleep terrifying. Also, I did not grow up here, so I inherently have a -5 resistance to local spiders. Since moving to Australia, I've tried to sort things with the spiders myself. I have tried to reason with them; applying to their sympathies by pointing out that I, too, spin and therefore we should be able to live amicably in respectful cohabitation

Wins and Super(wash) Fails, Plastic Free July edition

Well that was embarrassing!  I woke up this morning and checked up on the blog. (Don’t judge me, everyone with a blog/podcast/publication of any sort does this, just ask Neil Gaiman.) Turns out at some point when I was uploading yesterday’s post I managed to tell Blogger to take EVERYTHING down from last month, save for my introduction...Doh! I’ve managed to fix it, and luckily without having to rewrite anything or muck up the blog stats. ( I confess stats aren’t as fun as writing the blog, but I do love seeing where people visiting are from - hey Peru!) If you were here for yesterday’s post go check out the archives, they are entertaining and right now there are only about 10 posts to catch up on! In other news, yesterday evening was a pretty nice time. Youngling managed to demonstrate much responsible-ness by phoning me at two different times, before I got to the point of panicking, that she was needing extra time to finish a school project with her group. The second ti

The Knitter vs Monday

Sometime last year Liebling and I were jokingly tossing around ideas for what one would need to make an epic fantasy story with yarn and knitting as a central feature of that world. It was one hell of an awesome several of hours of world building, let me tell you. Out of that evening, along with an even stronger desire to knit my geekboy all the amazing geeky things I can get my hands on, I got some major inspiration to try writing some short stories about yarn and fibre in a more fictional setting. I mean, what if you could have something like The Dresden Files, but with YARN? I think that sounds pretty damn cool and I'd buy it. I dabbled and dabbled and knitted and dabbled and eventually came up with a collection of stories about The Knitter. Here is one of these short stories. This is my first try at fictional writing since...erm...high school, so please bear that in mind when you read it. Also, if you like it, let me know and I'll share more. ;-) The Knitter vs Mon